Sunday, November 2, 2008

Baby Overboard

Well, it happened. I knew it was coming....

Caden climbed out of his crib.

Two months ago Caden was taking two, two+ hour naps a day. Then all of a sudden, out of nowhere the boy stopped napping. So we switched to one nap a day. We've been struggling to find the perfect time to put him down and he's been struggling with just how long he wants to sleep. At first it was 2-3 hours everyday. Then 2 hours. Then an hour and a half. And now... ONE HOUR. That's it. That's all he wants/needs/etc.

After an hour he wakes up crying/fussing, but I'm starting to think that is just because he knows fussing means he gets out of the crib. So, I've been letting him cry to see if he will go back to sleep. I haven't been consistent about it... every couple of days I try it again and he never (never, ever) goes back to sleep. He will cry for an hour.

Have I thought of rocking him?? Ha! Rocking him doesn't cut it either. If I go in there he will let me rock him for all of about 2 minutes before he's crying and squirming around in my arms trying to get down. We struggle and I end up putting him back in the crib...then the crying turns to wailing.

It's just one of those things that I don't know what to do. Do I just accept that he's only going to nap an hour? I'm okay with that. He doesn't have to nap for 2 or 3 hours... but the thing is after his one hour nap he always, always, always wakes up crying. Again, I can't tell if this is from crankiness because he's still tired or if the crying is just his method of choice for getting me to respond to him and get him out of the crib. I'm really struggling here with what to do....

So, today was one of those "let him cry and see if he falls back to sleep" days. Obviously it didn't work. I heard a giant THUD and walked in his room to see him crawling around on the floor by his crib. I just got off the phone with John and we're looking into purchasing a crib tent. Either this or a video baby monitor, but a video monitor won't keep him in the crib. More than likely we'll get a crib tent....

Sigh...

1 comment:

Greg and Shara said...

uh-oh!! I've not had a climber, but it's worrisome when a little one figures out how to climb out. Seriously, he is all boy, full of adventure, and very little fear! He is keeping you on your toes!!