Friday, October 1, 2010

Gracie - Four Months Old

I'm overwhelmed at the thought of trying to "back post" about the last four months so instead i think I'll just pick up where we are now. :)

Grace was/is an easy baby in a lot of ways. She's four months old now and is still hovering right at the 50th percentile in everything. She was 13lbs 11oz at her appt yesterday and 24 inches long. I am planning to wait a while to introduce solids, although i was given the go ahead if needed. I figure that I'd like to nurse her as long as possible and since we're already struggling in that department solids could just make it worse. She was on a perfect babywise schedule and then she turned about 2.5 months old and Caden started preschool, which meant all of her morning naps were in the car and therefore just short catnaps. Since that time I've just let it fly! :) She takes 3 solid naps each day. Two in the morning and one around 1pm. The two morning naps are typically short and the 1pm nap is usually at least 2 hours. She stays awake for long periods of time, usually at least 1.5 hours and often 2 full hours of wake time. At night she has been ready to sleep through the night for some time. If she wakes it is usually b/c she's come unswaddled. She's stuck in a 4/5am rut, but I'm not ready to break her of that just because I need that feeding for my supply. I often times will actually wake her during the 4 or 5am hour if I happen to wake up and realize she has not woken yet. We put her to bed at 7pm and do a dreamfeed at 9pm.

She's rolling from tummy to back, although she doesn't do it much anymore like she did at first (she was about 3 months when she started). She usually just sucks on her hands when she is on her tummy now. She loves her thumb and fingers. She alternates between which she is in the mood to suck on. She is a very happy baby, always smiling and her eyes light up before she smiles, just like her lip turns down before she starts to cry. She has beautiful, light blue eyes and dark curly hair that just keeps growing and is a mess to tame! She's definitely started to find her voice lately and is cooing at us and talking a lot. Not babbling much yet, but every now and again she'll kind of moan to herself. She loves Caden and he is so good with her and loves her (and the many new toys she comes with). We put her in the bumpo at about 3 months and the exersaucer about a week ago. She is an absolute joy. Pictures to follow!


Grace, 3.5 months old
Grace (3 months) wearing Caden's soccer shoes! And Caden showing off his cantelope, lol.

Grace 3.5 months with Mama!


The day Grace found her thumb.... 3 months

Grace and Nonnie (can you see where she gets her blue eyes!)




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Amanda!!!! She is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I have been thinking about ya'll~ Enjoy those two cuties :)

Shane and Katie Martin said...

Hi!
I found your blog through the Babywisemom.com blog and saw that you had commented on there with the best flying advice I found but now I can't find it again. Soooo, since I think I read that you had taken a 30 hour flight or something with your little boy, I was hoping to ask you some questions (if you have time) about a trip that my 4 month old and I are about to take- alone without my husband! I'm nervous.
So I guess the thing that I am most concerned about is keeping him from screaming and being annoying for other passengers. It will be about a 4 hour flight from NC to Texas. What do you think is the best thing to do for a 4 month old? He isn't really interested in DVD's yet or I would try that. I'm so scared that I won't be able to get him to sleep on the plane. What do you think? How did you do it flying with your kids?
Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me! Cute blog, by the way!

John and Amanda said...

No problem! I did fly from ATL to Korea when my son was 4 months old. Hmmm... where to start. I assume you will have your baby in your lap. Do you have a sling? I highly recommend one, or a bjorn or something. My daughter is 4 months old right now and those are great for when she is fussy! It will help with walking around the airport and such. Definately bring the stroller and carseat and "gate check" them. When you get to the gate tell the people you're going to gate check your carseat and stroller but ask if there is an extra seat on the plane that will be empty. If so, they will let you bring your babyseat on teh plane! :)
make sure you have either a nursing cover or plenty of bottles too! Even if you exlusively nurse it couldn't hurt to have a bottle or two of pumped breastmilk just in case. A lot of babies cry b/c of the popping in their ears so giving a paci or a bottle at take off and landing is helpful. I found it helpful to bring my boppy along b/c holding baby for several hours is hard on your arms! The boppy was nice for that extra support. Like I mentioned on the babywisemom blog, it can be awkward to nurse when sandwhiched in between strangers so i highly recommend a bottle for emergencies, just try to nurse right before and then right after your flight... hope this helps some... oh and googled the link i posted on the other blog for you. :)

http://www.babywisemom.com/2008/03/flying-with-baby.html

Shane and Katie Martin said...

Thanks SO much! Yeah, I plan on bringing a couple bottles FOR SURE! I was trying to decide what to do about nursing, I don't think I want to nurse with other passengers right next to me so I'm going to just pump beforehand.
Good idea about the sling, maybe he will fall asleep in it? Hopefully?! I usually have a hard time getting him to fall asleep in my lap at church bc he is so used to sleeping in his crib.
Thanks again for your help! I hadn't thought of the ears popping thing so I'll be sure to feed him during take off/landing!

John said...

Hi Amanda! I also found your flying comments on the babywisemom.com blog. I'm not too worried about the plane experience, but I had a question more about dealing with jet lag. We are flying next week with our 4 month old from China to Louisiana, a 13 hour time difference. Right now she is your text book baby wise baby, sleeps 12 hours at night, and eats 4 times per day. Any advice you have on dealing with the jet lag? We will only be in the states for 6 weeks, and then will head back to China to do the jet lag all over again. We land in America at 12:15 am, after 30 hours travel time. Any advice is great! Thanks!! Katie

John and Amanda said...

I remember that I just fed him evry 3 hours around the clock for the flight (or if he was sleeping longer than the 3 hour point I'd let him go but he was typically just napping the full 30+hr trip)... I seem to remember him reverting back to somewhat of a newborn schedule for a night or two as we adjusted... I suppose my advice would be to just be super flexible and not try to worry if she eats more frequently as all she knows is that her days and nights are organized around eating... for a few days you'll likely have more feedings than normal, and some night waking but she'll eventaully readjust! If you can get blackout curtains at the place you are staying that might help... Sorry I can't be much more help... know this... she WILL adjust and won't be waking at night the entire time it just might take her a few days. since she's a textbook baby she's probably be pretty easy and will make a quick transition. :) Good luck!!