Tuesday, January 13, 2009
10 Things I Will Miss About Korea
This time next week I will be on my way home. I know that it will be a bittersweet goodbye. To carry on an little blogging tradition I've typed up my lists of the 10 things I will miss the most, and the least about Korea. For today, here is the list of the things I will miss most:
10- The lack of choices. I know you all probably don't believe me! Living here for the first few months is hard because suddenly you don't have choices. There are 5 places to eat in the food court, there is only one food court. There is one place to buy groceries unless you want to shop off-base somewhere. There is one place to buy everything else you need (the BX, or places off-base if you want to venture out). Life here is simple. And although the lack of choices is one of the things I dislike most about being here, it is (at the same time) one of the things I love. You see, EVERYONE else is in the same boat. There is no keeping up with the Jones' here. Life is simple, and sometimes simple is good! I know that God has taught me a lot about the things I can do without through my experiences here in Korea.
09- Driving in Korea. Again, this is one of those love/hate things. The driving here can be nightmareish at times, but there are so many things about it that I also love! I love that there are no rules that can't be broken as long as a camera isn't around! Ha! Not that I'm all about breaking rules, but I confess that there have been times that I have. It was a bit of a thrill the first few times I plowed through a red light when I was in a hurry to get somewhere! And I didn't break the rules all the time, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't secretly love the "option" to disregard the rules! Also, I just love the creativity of the Korean people and have had so many good laughs at the funny things I see out driving around. The same things that annoy me also make me laugh, and they make for good blogging, so I can't really say that I dislike them completely! Which brings me to my next point...
08- The funnies. I will miss knowing that all the funny experience I've encountered here will come to an end. No more "Korenglish" to laugh at. No more strange events to witness and laugh about. No more listening to my husband mess around with the taxi drivers....
07- Walking. Now that I don't have a car and the high temperature is in the 20's, this is a little hard to write about, but in the warmer weather months walking around base is just wonderful! It's such a nice luxury to be able to just kill time by strolling down to the BX, maybe having a little scoop of ice cream, walking over to check the mail, stopping by the playground, etc before heading home for dinner. And thanks to the giant hill in front of our apartment, the walking is good for more than killing time!
06- Picasso Frame Shop. This may be a silly thing to miss, but I just love having stuff to hang on my walls and her frames, and her prices, are fabulous! I know that one of my regrets once I return home will be that I didn't get enough frames made. And, to add to it I will miss a few other stores including Guam Blankets (they don't put the ugly felt on the edges of the blankets), Royal Bag (loving their backpacks), and Finding Movie.
05- The CDC. I waited until Caden was about 13 months old before I started using the CDC. I was very lucky because at the time his room was not full and pretty much any day of the week that I wanted I could get him in. I usually put him in on Mon, Wed, Fri for three hours each day at only $9 per day! Yes, 3 hours for $9! He thrived in that environment and learned so much from the older children in his class. He did art projects, sat at a little miniature table, played on the indoor slide, ate all kinds of foods for lunch (even bulgogi!), etc. It was a great experience for him and I enjoyed those 3 hours each day as well! I spent it at the gym and then with the leftover time I'd run errands, have coffee with a friend, or just spend some quite time by myself. Unfortunately the room filled up in December and getting in has been a rare treat for us, but I am forever thankful for those months we used the CDC as I know that day care outside of the military is much more expensive than the CDC!
04- The adventures and "cool factor." There is just something so cool about saying casually on your facebook status "John just got back from Seoul." I mean, hello!?! How cool is that! Really, how many people can say that!?! This, living in Korea, is an experience that will shape who I am and how I see the world and I must say that God took something I was terrified about (moving to Korea) and turned it in to one of the BEST experiences of my life. Living overseas is challenging, but it is also "cool." And of course, the adventures... oh the adventures. There is so much that we did that I am so grateful for, and so much we never got around to that I will always be sad about.
03- Book Club. I've always had this idea that book clubs were for (no offense to any of you) old people with nothing better to do with their time. I know, I know! Bad stereotype! Book clubs are awesome! I'm so glad I've been enlightened and I will just cry if I don't find a good book club to be a part of back in Alabama! I might just have to start my own if that's the case! I joined the PWOC Book Club about 5 months ago and have read five AMAZING books that I must confess I never would have picked up and read on my own. And what's even more amazing is how discussion can shape/change your thinking! For example, last months book got on my last nerve. I was fascinated by parts of it, but overall was annoyed, but after our discussion I found myself re-reading parts of that book and just devouring the words and loving it to pieces!!
02- PWOC/MOPS. These are two organizations that I got involved in soon after arriving in Korea last year. I ended up being on the board/steering team for both and have loved being in that role as well. PWOC stands for Protestant Women of the Chapel and it's a program available at pretty much every chapel on every military base around the world. I was involved in it in Kansas as well. MOPS stands for Mother's of Preschoolers and is a wonderful program with fellowship, a speaker, and then discussion in small groups on topics that matter to Christian Moms. I think the people are what make these groups so fabulous which leads me to the number one thing I will miss about Korea...
01- The people. THE hardest thing about leaving Korea is leaving all the fabulous and amazing people and friends I've met here. And, because we're separating from the military (and because we're Army living on an Air Force base) chances are I won't run in to many of them again. More than any place we've lived before I feel like our tour here in Korea has changed and shaped who I am as a person, as a wife, as a Christian, and as a mom. This is partly due to the fact that I came to Korea a new Mommy, struggling to get by and it was here that I met other Moms to share their struggles, stories, etc with me. I love the community here, and the small town feel. I love that walking down the street or through the store you can't go anywhere without seeing someone who you know and chatting for a few minutes. It will be very hard to say goodbye to this place because of the people. But, I know that in another two years if I came back for a visit, chances are that I wouldn't know a soul here anymore because all of my friends would have also moved on. That makes it a little easier...
And one last thing about the people that I will miss... I will also miss the Korean's and their incredible love of babies! They are (and have been) so amazingly understanding and helpful! I mean, is there a store anywhere in the states where you can pay $2.00 and drop your kid off at an indoor playground for 2 hours while you shop?!? Even today, I locked myself out of the house and as I was downstairs in the lobby trying to fill out a form to have my house unlocked, the man that works the counter took Caden out of my arms and held him for me (and played with him) while I finished what I needed. And he carried Caden for me all the way back up to our apartment. In Korea, if your baby is screaming and making a fuss in public, you'll soon be surrounded by a crowd trying to help anyway they can, where in America you just get snooty looks from people who are annoyed by your child's cries.
John's Notes: John had two items to add the this list that he particularly will miss.
1) Public Transportation. John uses the taxi's, buses, subways, and trains all the time. They are all very easy to use and very inexpensive, too.
2) Custom made clothing. John has gotten several shirts, coats, blazers, suits, etc made here and really loves them all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Amanda, this was fun to read! I agree with you on everything...can I copy this for my blog when I leave Korea?!! Just kidding! You will be missed my friend. I'm thankful for that cold morning when we first met at Starbucks. I'll be praying for you as you transition back into the good ole' US of A!! I must say that I'm excited to be following you in June...
Im going to miss all of the neat post that you have given us! It has been a fun adventure going along with you. Thanks! Im looking forward to many more... in Alabama~
That was truly inspiring and heart-warming. Good luck on the trip home...I am sure you are ready for it to be behind you!
I enjoyed reading both of your lists. They both brought back a lot of memories....enjoy your US reentry!
Post a Comment