Monday, May 26, 2008

Korean Folk Village



Yesterday we headed out to the Korean Folk Village with our friends Patrick, Lynn, and Adeline. The Korean Folk Village is sort of like Korea's version of Williamsburg. There are 'actors' dressed in the traditional Korean clothing and there are different homes representing people of different classes and also different eras. It was interesting! I will be taking my mom back in July because I think she will really enjoy it!











The above video clip is from one of the shows we watched at the village. This is a traditional Korean band and I believe this is called a Farmer's Dance, although I'm not positive. They marched around in different formations with their drums and cymbal type instruments. A group of the guys had these long poles on their heads with ribbons attached and they did a lot of neat moves with the ribbons, swirling them about using their heads. The most impressive part was the little circle move they are doing above. I don't see how they do this without falling!


Here we are pictured with some Kimchi pots. I've mentioned Kimchi on here before. It is a dish of fermented cabbage or raddish (or other vegetable) that is quite spicy and is served with almost every meal here in Korea. Kimchi pots are often used as decoration, but they are traditionally used to store the Kimchi so they can eat it throughout the winter.

Here are some pictures I took at the museum depicting Korean women (in traditional dress) making Kimichi.

Well, that is about all of the interesting historical stuff we spent time on this time! We walked around and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and the shows... and of course the guys found all the cool toys!

Here are some giant swings that the guys really enjoyed.

There was a group of Ajummas at the "play" area jumping on the seesaw. It cracked us up! Here is the video from it:





Caden impressed everyone again with his stroller-pushing-abilities...



And then we found the amusement park area:

John rode his favorite ride by himself...and when I say that he rode it alone, I mean it very literally. He was the ONLY person on this ride! :)



John, Caden, Amanda, Lynn, Adeline, and Patrick


The best part of the day for me, was seeing my sweet little boy get tickled at all the farm animals! Here is a video clip of Caden laughing:







View Lynn's post about the trip here.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Wow, you're quick! We had a great time with you guys. The video of the ajumma's alone made it worth going!

KCB said...

The pics look great! We had a good time when we went, too, last fall. And it's great for pic ops when the leaves are changing colors. :) Caden looks like he's already getting so big...and it's only been a couple of weeks.

We're getting settled in VA somewhat. Joel left yesterday so that brings about a whole 'nother level of challenges. *sigh*

I'll email your personal acct later. Being back in the States is sooo different! :)

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh out loud when I heard Caden's giggle at the animals. I think it was a goat? Anyway, he made my day, hehe... Susie H