Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Next Step

So, I am always looking to try something new, especially when it comes to photography! I LOVE photographing newborn babies and their adoring (but tired) parents! I've been wanting to expand in to toddlers and children as well, but haven't really pursued it yet. Recently at a MOPS meeting (Mother's of Preschoolers, it's like a Mommy Group) they asked for donations to raise money for childcare. The plan was to have a silent auction to raise money. The Lord immediately put it on my heart to donate a photo session, but I procrastinated. I kept thinking I wasn't ready, don't have the equipment I need, etc... but God was persistent! The night before the turn in deadline I "followed my gut" and emailed to say I wanted to donate a photoshoot (complete package with photo CD included in the session). I don't think I was (or am) ready for what God was about to do next! The photoshoot was such a hit that they asked me half way through the auction if I could donate a second one because they were raising so much money on it. I was too embarassed to walk over to the paper and see what amount of money they were talking about!

The two winners of the session have OLDER kids! This is something so new and exciting to me! But, last night I tossed and turned in bed for hours! I realized I am so nervous now becaues I've never photographed children before! It will be completely new to me! My brain is spinning with ideas and I wish I had an endless amount of money to buy "supplies" for the shoot! I REALLY want a nicer backdrop stand and a light for those high key portraits. And for the little girls I want pettiskirts. Lots of photographers are doing those now and it's so cute! And where can I find a gerber daisy in Korea in March??? I want one of those too!

God has given me the nudge I needed to start a small in-home business over here. I've already had several people asking for sessions. It's crazy! I'm working on a very basic website and business cards right now. It's all happening so fast!

Before I go, I wanted to share my latest obsession... poems and scripture! Here are a few of the many I did! The first one is too small to read, but it is Psalm 139: 13-14. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When God is behind you who can be against you? The first step is always the hardest to take. My friend Misty felt the same way getting started. I told her you just gotta take a leap of faith. Boy she really leaped big! She is opening her new studio. She too started out at church. I'm not sure if it was mops or not but a mommies group. I think that's the best place to start. She just had her prices low and let the Moms know she was "new". I will say a little prayer for you and your new business adventure. ps... your cards are wonderful! I just made my daughter Madison some valentines with her picture on it. She was so proud of them. Take care Amanda and God Bless! Your Friend, Susie

Dyar Baby Momma said...

I love love love that photo of you with Caden and the quote...

If you were here I would so hire you!

I'm also off shopping at lunch to get some of your necessities. :)